Yamaha YZF-R1 For Sale
The 2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a 998cc inline four engine which puts out 172bhp. It was originally launched in 1998 with updates in 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2015.
- Usable power, great handling, very fast, looks great, build quality
- Suspension, gets hot in traffic, budget for a power commander
What Is It?
The 2004 bike was a complete re-design and notably the first time a 1:1 power to weight ratio has been achieved on a production machine i.e. 172bhp:172kg dry weight. Power is provided by a liquid cooled 998cc parallel 4 cylinder engine, producing 172bhp at 12,500rpm, with maximum torque at 10,500rpm, and the new forced air intake is responsible for much of the increase in power.
- Aluminium deltabox frame
- Dual 320mm discs up front with radial brake calipers
- 220mm disc at the rear
- 43mm fork with 120mm travel
- Rear shock with 130mm travel
- Dual under-seat titanium mufflers
- 4 beam headlights
- Slimmer frame and fuel tank
- Re-design body panels
- Steering damper
2006: Tweaked longer swing arm shifts weight forward. The outer fork tubes are now gold coloured and power increased slightly to 175bhp with shorter intake valves. New 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
Yamaha also released a limited edition black/gold SP model in 2006, with Ohlins suspension, slipper clutch and 400g lighter forged aluminium wheels. Only 500 were produced for Europe so expect to see higher used values.
Colours and RRP:
- 2004: Blue/silver/black, red/black, white/grey/black
- 2005: Black/grey, blue/white, black/red
- 2006: Blue/black/silver, black, yellow/white/black, red/yellow (50th anniversary), black/gunsmoke with gold accent (limited edition SP model)
Did You Know?
The 2005 Black Eyed Peas music video My Humps features an R1.
Something wrong? Let us know.
Bikes for Sale (21)
- 1 of 7
Sell Your Bike
Sell your bike with We Want Your Motorbike today:
Just pop in your reg number, get a same day valuation and they'll buy your bike within 24 hours - easy peasy.
We work out the price guide ourselves, independent from any other organisation, so you can easily get a rough valuation or an idea of what it's worth.
|Use the code thebikemarket at the checkout for a cheeky little discount!|
We thoroughly recommend Petrolhead Detailing for all your cleaning, detailing and paint correction needs. They really know their stuff!
Check out this video review from Riding Badger.