Yamaha YZF-R1 For Sale
What Is It?
The Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a liquid cooled 998 cc inline four cylinder engine, producing 172 bhp at 12,500 rpm and maximum torque at 10,500 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- Adjustable 43 mm KYB upside down fork with 120 mm travel
- Adjustable rear shock with 130 mm travel
- 4->2 exhaust system
- 6 speed gearbox, LED tail light
Compared to the 1998-2003 model there's a slimmer tank, slimmer but more rigid frame, re-designed bodywork, a steering damper, dual underseat Titanium mufflers, a 1:1 power to dry weight ratio, 20 bhp more power, new ram air system which adds 8 bhp, new wheel design, larger front discs, 1 litre more fuel capacity, a 20 mm higher seat and 5 kg shaved off the weight.
The 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
- 2004: Blue/silver/black, red/black, white/grey/black
- 2005: Black/grey, blue/white, black/red
- 2006: Blue/black/silver, black, yellow/white/black, red/yellow (50th), black/gunsmoke with gold accent (SP)
The 2005 Black Eyed Peas music video My Humps features an R1.
Launch RRP: £9,400
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 172 bhp / 128 kW (very high)
Red Line: 13,750 rpm (very high)
Top Speed: 189 mph / 304 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 160 miles / 257 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 18.0 litres / 4.0 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 835 mm / 32.9 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 185 kg / 408 pounds (average)
Dry Weight: 172 kg / 379 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.930 bhp/kg / 0.693 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (Very High)
Review In A Few
- Build quality
- Usable power
- Budget for a power commander
- Gets hot in traffic
2006: Tweaked longer swingarm shifts weight forward, new wheel design, outer fork tubes are now gold coloured and power increased slightly to 175 bhp with shorter intake valves.
Limited edition black/gold SP model with Ohlins suspension, slipper clutch and 400 gram lighter Marchesini forged Aluminium wheels. Only 500 will be produced for Europe.
For Sale (24)
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike:
Popularity & How Many Left