Yamaha YZF-R1 For Sale
Insurance Costs: 10 of 10
Current Prices: £4,150–£2,850
What Is It?
The Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a liquid cooled 998cc inline four 20V engine, producing 149.9bhp at 10,000rpm and maximum torque at 8,500rpm.
- Aluminium Deltabox II frame and swingarm
- Dual 298mm discs up front with 2 piston calipers
- 220mm disc at the rear with single piston caliper
- Adjustable KYB 41mm upside down fork with 120mm travel
- Adjustable rear monoshock with 130mm travel
- 4->1 EXUP exhaust system with Carbon muffler
- 6 speed gearbox
To compete with the Fireblade the R1 team set out to create the lowest weight, highest power and most compact bike they could. The result, although technology-wise pretty similar to the FZR1000, was the Genesis powered R1. The 3-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
Designing the cylinder and crank case as one proved to be stronger than traditional bolted together designs and the entire engine became a stressed member of the frame.
To achieve the maximum compactness they designed the crankshaft, drive shaft and main shaft in a triangular layout, making the engine shorter and contributing to the short 1395mm wheelbase. This combined with the long swingarm set the standard for stability and traction in the class.
- 1998: Blue, white/red
- 1999: Blue, red/black/white, yellow/blue/black, white/red
- 2000: Blue, yellow, red/white/black, blue/silver
- 2001: Blue/white/black, red/black/white
- 2002: Blue/white, silver/black, red/white/black
- 2003: Blue/black, black/silver, black/red/white
2000: Reduced engine friction, revised carburettor settings, improved gearbox, upgraded suspension and general weight saving measures such as a Titanium silencer. Dry weight down to 175kg.
2002: New 43mm fork, rear suspension and 30% more rigid hydro-formed frame. Fuel injection added to meet emission standards and a new Titanium 4->2->1 exhaust. Powered increased to 152bhp, weight decreased to 174kg, frame painted black and an LED tail light added.
Did You Know?
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 150 bhp / 112 kW (high)
Red Line: 11,750 rpm (high)
Top Speed: 175 mph / 282 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 14.2 kpl / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 150 miles / 241 km (average)
Fuel Capacity: 17.0 litres / 3.7 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 815 mm / 32.1 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 198 kg / 437 pounds (average)
Dry Weight: 177 kg / 390 pounds
Something wrong? Let us know.
Create An Alert
Pop in your email address and we can send you daily updates when we see new adverts like this appearing:
- It's super easy to cancel it with just one click.
- Your email will only be used for these alerts.
- You can have one active alert at any one time.
- The alert will time out after 30 days.
Bikes for Sale (41)
- 1 of 14
Year shows signs of appreciation
Sell Your Bike
Pop in your reg number, get a same day valuation from WeWantYourMotorbike and they'll buy your bike within 24 hours:
Popularity & How Many Left
|Year||On The Road||Off The Road||Total||For Sale|
|1998||427||1,203||1,630||480 / month|
|1999||742||1,430||2,172||200 / month|
|2000||583||1,055||1,638||180 / month|
|2001||426||732||1,158||130 / month|
|2002||588||665||1,253||89 / month|
|2003||369||370||739||230 / month|