Yamaha YZF-R1 Bikes For Sale
What Is It?
The Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a liquid cooled 998 cc inline four 20V engine, producing 149.9 bhp at 10,000 rpm and maximum torque at 8,500 rpm.
- Aluminium Deltabox II frame and swingarm
- Dual 298 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with single piston caliper
- Adjustable KYB 41 mm upside down fork with 120 mm travel
- Adjustable rear monoshock with 130 mm travel
- 4->1 EXUP exhaust system with Carbon muffler
- 6 speed gearbox
To compete with the Fireblade the R1 team set out to create the lowest weight, highest power and most compact bike they could. The result, although technology-wise pretty similar to the FZR1000, was the Genesis powered R1. The 3-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
Designing the cylinder and crank case as one proved to be stronger than traditional bolted together designs and the entire engine became a stressed member of the frame.
To achieve the maximum compactness they designed the crankshaft, drive shaft and main shaft in a triangular layout, making the engine shorter and contributing to the short 1395 mm wheelbase. This combined with the long swingarm set the standard for stability and traction in the class.
- 1998: Blue, white/red
- 1999: Blue, red/black/white, yellow/blue/black, white/red
- 2000: Blue, yellow, red/white/black, blue/silver
- 2001: Blue/white/black, red/black/white
- 2002: Blue/white, silver/black, red/white/black
- 2003: Blue/black, black/silver, black/red/white
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 150 bhp / 112 kW (high)
Red Line: 11,750 rpm (high)
Top Speed: 175 mph / 282 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 150 miles / 241 km (average)
Fuel Capacity: 17.0 litres / 4.5 US gallons (high)
Seat Height: 815 mm / 32.1 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 198 kg / 437 pounds (average)
Dry Weight: 177 kg / 390 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.758 bhp/kg / 0.565 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (Very High)
2000: Reduced engine friction, revised carburettor settings, improved gearbox, upgraded suspension and general weight saving measures such as a Titanium silencer. Dry weight down to 175 kg.
2002: New 43 mm fork, rear suspension and 30% more rigid hydro-formed frame. Fuel injection added to meet emission standards and a new Titanium 4->2->1 exhaust. Powered increased to 152 bhp, weight decreased to 174 kg, frame painted black and an LED tail light added.
Review In A Few
- Useful under seat storage
- Wheelie machine
- Build quality
- Budget for power commander / steering damper
For Sale (47)
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike:
↑Year shows signs of appreciation
Popularity & How Many Left