Yamaha YZF-R1 For Sale
What Is It?
The Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a liquid cooled 998 cc inline four 20V engine, producing 149.9 bhp at 10,000 rpm and maximum torque at 8,500 rpm.
- Aluminium Deltabox II frame and swingarm
- Dual 298 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with single piston caliper
- Adjustable KYB 41 mm upside down fork with 120 mm travel
- Adjustable rear monoshock with 130 mm travel
- 4->1 EXUP exhaust system with Carbon muffler
- 6 speed gearbox
To compete with the Fireblade the R1 team set out to create the lowest weight, highest power and most compact bike they could. The result, although technology-wise pretty similar to the FZR1000, was the Genesis powered R1. The 3-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
Designing the cylinder and crank case as one proved to be stronger than traditional bolted together designs and the entire engine became a stressed member of the frame.
To achieve the maximum compactness they designed the crankshaft, drive shaft and main shaft in a triangular layout, making the engine shorter and contributing to the short 1395 mm wheelbase. This combined with the long swingarm set the standard for stability and traction in the class.
- 1998: Blue, white/red
- 1999: Blue, red/black/white, yellow/blue/black, white/red
- 2000: Blue, yellow, red/white/black, blue/silver
- 2001: Blue/white/black, red/black/white
- 2002: Blue/white, silver/black, red/white/black
- 2003: Blue/black, black/silver, black/red/white
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 150 bhp / 112 kW (high)
Red Line: 11,750 rpm (high)
Top Speed: 175 mph / 282 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 150 miles / 241 km (average)
Fuel Capacity: 17.0 litres / 3.7 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 815 mm / 32.1 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 198 kg / 437 pounds (average)
Dry Weight: 177 kg / 390 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.758 bhp/kg / 0.565 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (Very High)
Review In A Few
- Useful under seat storage
- Wheelie machine
- Build quality
- Budget for power commander / steering damper
2000: Reduced engine friction, revised carburettor settings, improved gearbox, upgraded suspension and general weight saving measures such as a Titanium silencer. Dry weight down to 175 kg.
2002: New 43 mm fork, rear suspension and 30% more rigid hydro-formed frame. Fuel injection added to meet emission standards and a new Titanium 4->2->1 exhaust. Powered increased to 152 bhp, weight decreased to 174 kg, frame painted black and an LED tail light added.
For Sale (44)
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike:
↑Year shows signs of appreciation
Popularity & How Many Left