Yamaha YZF-R1 For Sale
The 1998 Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a 998cc inline four engine which puts out 150bhp. It was updated in 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2015.
What Is It?
- Very fast, great handling, build quality, looks great, useful under seat storage
- Quite heavy, uncomfortable, headlight, exhaust, budget for a power commander and steering damper
The original YZF-R1 team set out to create the lowest weight, highest power and most compact bike they could. The result, although technology-wise pretty similar to the FZR1000, was the Genesis engine powered R1. 149.9bhp is achieved at 10,000rpm with maximum torque at 8,500rpm.
- Aluminium Deltabox II frame
- Dual 298mm discs up front
- 220mm disc at the rear
- Fully adjustable KYB 41mm upside down fork with 120mm travel
- Adjustable rear monoshock with 130mm travel
The new liquid cooled 998cc 20v inline four big bore engine was mated with a 4 into 1 exhaust system and Yamaha's EXUP system for improved midrange. Designing the cylinder and crank case as one proved to be stronger than traditional bolted together designs and the entire engine became a stressed member of the frame.
To achieve the compactness objective the team designed the crankshaft, drive shaft and main shaft in a triangular layout, making the engine shorter and contributing to the short 1395mm wheelbase. The short wheelbase and long swingarm set the standard for stability and traction in the class.
2000 featured reduce engine friction, revised carburettor settings, improved gearbox and general weight saving measures such as a titanium silencer (replacing the carbon original carbon fibre). Dry weight dropped from 177kg to 175kg.
2002 featured new 43mm forks, rear suspension and 30% more rigid hydro-formed deltabox frame. Fuel injection was added to meet emission standards and the exhaust system went from 4->1 to a completely Titanium 4->2->1 set up. Powered increased from 150bhp to 152bhp and weight decreased from 175kg to 174kg. The frame was painted black and an LED tail light added.
The 3-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
- 1998: Blue, white/red
- 1999: Blue, red/black/white, yellow/blue/black, white/red
- 2000: Blue, yellow, red/white/black, blue/silver
- 2001: Blue/white/black, red/black/white
- 2002: Blue/white, silver/black, red/white/black
- 2003: Blue/black, black/silver, black/red/white
Did You Know?
Something wrong? Let us know.
Bikes for Sale (21)
- 1 of 7
Sell Your Bike
Sell your bike with WeWantYourMotorbike today. Just pop in your reg number, get a same day valuation and they'll buy your bike within 24 hours - easy peasy.
Parts & Accessories
Cleaning & Detailing
We thoroughly recommend Petrolhead Detailing for all your cleaning, detailing and paint correction needs. They really know their stuff!
Check out this 2001 review from Men and Motors:
and another 2003 walk around from MIKE12R1: