Yamaha YZF-R1 Motorbikes For Sale
What Is It?
The Yamaha YZF-R1 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a liquid cooled 998 cc inline four cylinder engine, producing 172 bhp at 12,500 rpm and maximum torque at 10,500 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- Adjustable 43 mm KYB upside down fork with 120 mm travel
- Adjustable rear shock with 130 mm travel
- 4->2 exhaust system
- 6 speed gearbox, LED tail light
Compared to the 1998-2003 model there's a slimmer tank, slimmer but more rigid frame, re-designed bodywork, a steering damper, dual underseat Titanium mufflers, a 1:1 power to dry weight ratio, 20 bhp more power, new ram air system which adds 8 bhp, new wheel design, larger front discs, 1 litre more fuel capacity, a 20 mm higher seat and 5 kg shaved off the weight.
The 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
- 2004: Blue/silver/black, red/black, white/grey/black
- 2005: Black/grey, blue/white, black/red
- 2006: Blue/black/silver, black, yellow/white/black, red/yellow (50th), black/gunsmoke with gold accent (SP)
The 2005 Black Eyed Peas music video My Humps features an R1.
Launch RRP: £9,400
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 172 bhp, 128 kW (very high)
Red Line: 13,750 rpm (very high)
Top Speed: 189 mph, 304 km/h (very high)
Fuel Consumption / Gas Mileage: 40 mpg, 7.1 l/100km, 14.2 km/l (average)
Range: 160 miles, 257 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 18.0 litres, 4.8 US gallons (high)
Seat Height: 835 mm, 32.9 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 185 kg, 408 pounds (average)
Dry Weight: 172 kg, 379 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.930 bhp/kg, 0.693 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (very high)
Model History & Updates
2006: Tweaked longer swingarm shifts weight forward, new wheel design, outer fork tubes are now gold coloured and power increased slightly to 175 bhp with shorter intake valves.
Limited edition black/gold SP model with Ohlins suspension, slipper clutch and 400 gram lighter Marchesini forged Aluminium wheels. Only 500 will be produced for Europe.
Review In A Few
- Build quality
- Usable power
- Budget for a power commander
- Gets hot in traffic
For Sale (17)
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike:
Popularity & How Many Left