BMW R1200GS For Sale
The 2017 BMW R1200GS is a premium adventure bike which can be spec'd up with all the toys and is powered by a 1,170cc Boxer engine which puts out 123bhp. It was originally launched in 2004 and updated in 2013.
- Masses of equipment, brakes, handling
- Gearbox, pretty heavy
What Is It?
It's powered by a Euro 4 compliant air/water cooled 1170cc two cylinder Boxer engine, producing 123.4bhp at 7,750rpm and maximum torque at 6,500rpm. As before power reaches the rear wheel via shaft drive for easy maintenance.
- Tubular Steel frame
- Dual 305mm discs up front with Brembo 2 piston calipers
- 276mm disc at the rear with Brembo 2 piston caliper
- ABS with off mode
- Adjustable front Telelever suspension with 190mm travel
- Rear Paralever suspension with Sachs shock and 200mm travel (20mm less)
- Automatic Stability Control (traction control)
- Two ride modes: Road, Rain (gentler throttle)
- 6 speed gearbox
Compared to the 2013-2016 model it has a new Euro 4 compliant cat, judder damper on the output shaft, optional hill start control, optional self levelling and a wider range of accessories to customise it to your needs.
The standard seat can be set at either 850mm or 870mm but there are also a number of other options available; low comfort (830mm/850mm), high comfort (860mm/880mm), rallye low (860mm) and rallye high (890mm). The cast Aluminium 19" front wheel takes a 120/70 tyre and the rear 17" a 170/60.
Significant options include:
- Riding Modes Pro (£385): Adds Dynamic, Dynamic Pro, Enduro and Enduro Pro. The pro modes are activated by a coded plug and give full control over engine character. You also get ABS Pro and hill start control which stops the bike rolling backwards on a hill when activated and automatically activates the hazard lights under heavy braking.
- Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA, £755): Self levelling function and dynamic damping which continually adjusts to the terrain.
- Off road sports suspension (only with dynamic ESA): Increased spring rates for hard off road use and 20mm more travel.
- Aluminium side and top cases.
- HP Akrapovic sports muffler (1.2kg lighter).
- LED headlight (£700)
- Keyless start (£250), daytime running lights (£265)
- Quickshifter (£375), heated grips (£240), white LED indicators (£100)
- Cross spoke wheels (£370)
Also available as part of a number of packs:
- Comfort (£525): Chrome exhaust, heated grips, tyre pressure monitor, hand guards.
- Dynamic (£1,490): DTC, LED headlight/indicators, hill start control, quickshifter, ride modes pro, ABS pro.
- Touring/Premium (£1,645): Dynamic ESA, keyless start, sat nav prep, cruise control, pannier mounts.
The base model is available in black or white but the big news for 2017 are the Exclusive and Rallye packages BMW is offering with the bike to customise it for primarily road or off-road use.
The £15,565 Exclusive gets you the cast Aluminium wheels, comfort seat, gold calipers, Steel radiator ducts, standard tall screen and monolith metallic matt paint job - check the pics above.
The £12,730 off-road focused Rallye models gets you wire wheels, a flatter seat, smaller screen, frame guard, radiator guard, enduro footrests, harder sports suspension with 20mm higher travel and optional knobbly tyres.
2017-2018: White, black (£85)
2018: Options now include the Emergency SOS call button on the handlebar and the 6.5" connectivity TFT dash. LED fog lights a new design.
Parts & Accessories
If we've missed something vital or got something laughably wrong about this model please let us know and we will love you forever.
Sell Your Bike
Sell your bike with WeWantYourMotorbike today. Just pop in your reg number, get a same day valuation and they'll buy your bike within 24 hours - easy peasy.
Bikes for Sale (13)
£12,990 eBay, 15th December
Full Luggage BMW History
£15,990 eBay, 15th December
Akrapovic Exhaust + Extras
£12,995 eBay, 15th December
P/EX WELCOME NATIONWIDE DELIVERY £99 + VAT
Experience of the GS Rallye 2017, after just doing 2,000 miles in Spain. Bike is good to cruise 70 plus all day not problem.
Windshield actually works a treat at 5,10 feet in height, not even on highest setting. The screen has improved a lot for taller riders with less buffeting around the head.
- Awesome ride with a lot more power.
- Handling is great with adaptive suspension.
- Comfort all day long 5 hours in seat.
- Brakes are stronger. At last the headlight are brilliant to say least; not like the previous candles.
- Toothed footrest are good to no slipping.
- Great on fuel 50mpg+
- Quickshifter, in my eyes, no point.
Only things I would say or dislike are the carrot type indicators and the gearbox is rather clunky compared to the last of the air and oil cooled motors. Took them 10 years to get good and then back to this again. And I'm informed that 2017 has the better gearbox.
- Roland C, 2018
Check out this Rallye review from TheMissendenFlyer: