BMW R1250GS First Look
The 2019 BMW R1250GS is a premium adventure bike which can be spec'd up with all the toys and is powered by a 1,254cc Boxer engine which puts out 134bhp. It replaces the R1200GS and is also available as the beefier R1250GSA.
What Is It?
- Maximum capability and electronics
- It will probably cost the best part of £20k
It's powered by a liquid cooled 1,254cc Boxer engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), producing 134.1bhp at 7,750rpm and maximum torque at 6,250rpm. As before power makes its way to the rear wheel via shaft drive. RRP is £13,415 for the base model rising to £16,975 for the Rallye TE.
- Dual 305mm discs up front with BMW 2 piston calipers
- 276mm disc at the rear with Brembo 2 piston caliper
- BMW ABS system with off mode
- Telelever front suspension with 190mm travel
- Adjustable Paralever rear suspension with 200mm travel
- Ride modes: Road, Rain
- Traction control, hill start assist
- 850mm / 870mm adjustable seat
- LED lighting all round
- 6.5" colour TFT dash with multi wheel and connectivity
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the outgoing R1200GS the big change is the new 84cc larger engine with variable intake camshaft technology (BMW ShiftCam) and a new exhaust system to match. There are some complicated diagrams above and a video below to check out but basically it mechanically shifts between a low speed efficient and high speed high power cam profile to offer better economy and power.
Power is up 11bhp and maximum torque appears a smidge further down the range, while BMW claim fuel economy is a smidge better as well but weight is inevitably up by 5kg. The 10-spoke 19" front wheel takes a 120/70 tyre and the rear 17" a 170/60.
Options include Dynamic ESA (electrically adjustable suspension, auto load balancing), off-road sports suspension setup, Ride Modes Pro, cornering ABS, dynamic brake light, low 800mm seat, high 900mm seat, LED daytime running lights, intelligent SOS system, Akrapovic silencer, heated seat, Aluminium luggage system, 28 / 49 litre top box, quickshifter, low screen and various billet Aluminium parts.
- Rallye (£13,950): Base model plus radiator/frame guards, pannier fastenings, handguards, low sports screen, wire-spoked wheels, black swingarm and off-road pegs.
- Rallye TE (£16,975): As Rallye plus DTC/ESA, keyless start, LED DRL, quickshifter, all riding modes, Chrome exhaust, heated grips, TPMS, cruise control, LED indicators, cornering ABS, black swingarm and pannier fastenings.
- TE (£16,200): Base model plus DTC/ESA, keyless start, LED DRL, radiator/frame guard, quickshifter, all riding modes, heated grips, TPMS, cruise control, cornering ABS and LED indicators.
- Exclusive TE (£16,500): As TE plus handguards, special Blackstorm paint scheme, black fork/wheels/swingarm and gold calipers.
Colours: Black, blue, white/blue/red, black special
Something wrong? Let us know.
Bikes for Sale (1)
Parts & Accessories
Check out this review from TheMissendenFlyer:
and this one about the new VVT engine: