BMW R1250GS Adventure First Look
The 2019 BMW R1250GSA is a premium adventure bike which can be spec'd up with all the toys and is powered by a 1,254cc Boxer engine which puts out 134bhp. It replaces the R1200GSA.
What Is It?
- Range, maximum capability, all the toys
- Tall, heavy, the best part of £20k with the options
It's powered by a liquid cooled 1,254cc Boxer engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), producing 134.1bhp at 7,750rpm and maximum torque at 6,250rpm. As before power makes its way to the rear wheel via shaft drive.
- Dual 305mm discs up front with BMW 2 piston calipers
- 276mm disc at the rear with Brembo 2 piston caliper
- BMW ABS system with off mode
- 37mm Telelever front suspension with 210mm travel
- Adjustable Paralever rear suspension with 220mm travel
- Ride modes: Road, Rain
- Traction control, hill start assist
- 890mm / 910mm adjustable seat (fixed 910mm on Rallye)
- LED lighting front and back, protection bars
- 6.5" colour TFT dash with multi wheel and connectivity
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the outgoing R1200GSA the big change is the new 84cc larger engine with variable intake camshaft technology (BMW ShiftCam) and a new exhaust system to match. There are some complicated diagrams above to check out but basically it mechanically shifts between a low speed efficient and high speed high power cam profile to offer better economy and power.
Power is up 9bhp and maximum torque appears a smidge further down the range, while BMW claim fuel economy is a smidge better as well but weight is inevitably up by 8kg. The spoked 19" front wheel takes a 120/70 tyre and the rear 17" a 170/60.
Compared to the road-focused R1250GS you get the 10 litre larger fuel tank, protection bars, hand guards, larger screen, wire-spoked wheels and longer travel suspension but also a 40mm higher seat and 19kg extra to deal with.
Options include Dynamic ESA (electrically adjustable suspension, auto load balancing), Ride Modes Pro including Enduro modes, cornering ABS, dynamic brake light, low 820mm seat, LED daytime running lights, LED indicators, intelligent SOS system, Akrapovic silencer, heated seat, Aluminium luggage system, 28 / 49 litre top box, quickshifter and various billet Aluminium parts.
- Rallye (£14,865): Rallye seat and colour scheme
- TE (£17,550): TPMS, LED indicators, cruise control, D-ESA, LED running light, fog lights, Ride Modes Pro, Dynamic Brake Light, heated grips, quickshifter, keyless start, cornering ABS
- Exclusive TE (£17,950): TE plus special brown colour scheme
- Rallye TE (£18,100): TE with Rallye seat and colour scheme
Colours: Grey, brown, blue/white/red (gold wheels/calipers)
Something wrong? Let us know.
Check out this review from TheMissendenFlyer:
and this one about the new VVT engine: