BMW R1250RT First Look
The 2019 BMW R1250RT is a premium touring bike which can be spec'd up with all the toys and is powered by a 1,254cc two cylinder Boxer engine which puts out 134bhp. It replaces the R1200RT.
What Is It?
It's powered by a liquid cooled 1,254cc Boxer engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT), producing 134.1bhp at 7,750rpm and maximum torque at 6,250rpm. As before power makes it way to the rear wheel via shaft drive. RRP is £14,415 for the base version, £15,615 for the SE and £16,700 for the LE.
- Dual 320mm discs up front with 2 piston calipers
- 276mm disc at the rear with Brembo 2 piston caliper
- BMW cornering ABS system with dynamic brake light
- Telelever front suspension with 120mm travel
- Adjustable Paralever rear suspension with 136mm travel
- Ride modes: Road, Rain
- Traction control, hill start assist
- 805mm / 825mm adjustable seat
- LED tail light, LED indicators and Halogen headlight
- 5.7" colour TFT dash with multi wheel controller
- Electrically adjustable screen
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the outgoing R1200RT the big change is the new 84cc larger engine with variable intake camshaft technology (BMW ShiftCam) and a new exhaust system to match. There are some complicated diagrams above and a video below to check out but basically it mechanically shifts between a low speed efficient and high speed high power cam profile to offer better economy and power.
Power is up 9bhp and maximum torque appears a smidge further down the range, while BMW claim fuel economy is a smidge better as well. Elsewhere there is a new spoiler on the belly, new exhaust and weight is inevitably up, but only by 5kg. The 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 180/55 at the rear.
BMW have upgraded the optional active suspension system to load balance automatically and it still adapts with the riding mode or can be put into fully dynamic mode.
Options include Dynamic ESA (electrically adjustable suspension), Ride Modes Pro, low 760mm seat, high 850mm seat, LED daytime running lights, intelligent SOS system, special "Option 719" seat/wheels/paint, Akrapovic silencer, heated seat, Aluminium luggage system, 28 / 49 litre top box, quickshifter, low screen and various billet Aluminium parts.
- Base: Heated grips, cornering ABS, dynamic brake light
- SE: Base plus Dynamic ESA, heated seat, cruise control, extra 12V socket
- LE: SE plus quickshifter, Chrome exhaust, central locking, TPMS, alarm, Option 719 paint
Colours: White / Red / Black (base/SE), Blue / Bronze metallic (LE)
If we've missed something vital or got something laughably wrong about this model please let us know and we will love you forever.
Check out this promo from BMW:
and this video about the new ShiftCam engine: