Honda Goldwing GL1800 For Sale
What Is It?
The Honda Goldwing GL1800 is a large fully featured touring bike with a shaft drive and is powered by a liquid cooled 1,833 cc flat six cylinder engine, producing 124.7 bhp at 5,500 rpm and maximum torque at 4,500 rpm.
- Aluminium twin spar frame and swingarm (2 kg lighter)
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with six piston calipers
- 316 mm disc at the rear with two piston caliper
- Combined ABS system
- Double wishbone front suspension
- Rear shock with electrically adjustable pre-load
- Ride modes: Touring, Sport, Economy, Rain
- Traction control, cruise control
- Assist and slipper clutch
- Electric angle / height adjustable screen
- 7" colour TFT dash, keyless start
- Self cancelling indicators, keyless start
- Heated seats and grips, airbag (Tour)
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- 6 speed gearbox with reverse gear
Compared to the 2001-2017 model there's a new smaller and 8 bhp more powerful engine, new chassis, new suspension, larger front discs, sharper styling, full LED lighting, 6 gears on the manual gearbox and the bike is significantly lighter although fuel capacity is down almost 4 litres.
The new engine is not only smaller with four valves per cylinder instead of two but is also a whopping 6.2 kg lighter. You also get some new fancy electronics in the shape of hill start assist, four riding modes, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth connectivity and idling stop / start with off mode.
There are two versions available with the base model weighting in at 365 kg with 30 litre panniers and only available with the 6 speed manual gearbox.
The 14 kg heavier Tour version weighs in at 379 kg and features the pillion chair / 50 litre topbox (which takes two full face helmets), two extra speakers and the new optional 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) automatic gearbox however this adds another 4 kg. The topbox and chair can be dropped from the Tour if you want all the toys and more of a bagger look.
The £29,700 DCT version also gets a cool walking mode for easy manoeuvring of the bike backwards or forwards and the gearing changes with the ride mode. In a similar fashion the Tour version gets electrically adjustable suspension which also adapts with the ride mode. Even the Tour model, with DCT, is 38 kg lighter than the outgoing model!
Luggage capacity is still impressive but Honda opted to reduce the total capacity of the Tour version from 150 litres to 110 litres after consulting with existing owners on how their Goldwings are used. It turns out they mostly head off for just 2-3 days at a time so didn't need all that space and on the plus side the bike is narrower now. The luggage is easier to access as well using the smart key, simply by pressing a button to unlock and it can even be unlocked remotely.
The 10-spoke front 18" wheel takes a 130/70 tyre and the rear 16" a 200/55. Accessories include a taller screen, adjustable leg / upper body wind deflectors and luggage rack.
- 2018: Silver, blue, white, red/black/white (Tour)
- 2019: Black, blue (Tour)
- 2020: Black, matt black, silver, red, white
2020: Fuel injection and DCT updates to improve slow speed handling. Tour version gets revised suspension settings and improved pillion grab handles.
Did You Know?
It started in 1975 as a 1,000cc naked bike.
Review In A Few
- Much lighter, all the toys, sharper looks
- Less luggage space, still quite heavy, DCT gearbox, super expensive
Capacity: 1,833 cc (very high)
Power: 125 bhp / 93 kW (high)
Red Line: 6,000 rpm (average)
Top Speed: 130 mph / 209 km/h (high)
Economy: 45 mpg / 6.3 L/100km (average)
Range: 210 miles / 338 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 21.1 litres / 4.6 gallons (very high)
Seat Height: 745 mm / 29.3 inches (low)
Wet Weight: 365 kg / 805 pounds (very heavy)
Power to Weight Ratio: 0.342 bhp/kg / 0.255 kW/kg
Launch RRP: £26,700
Something wrong? Let us know.
Create An Alert
Pop in your email address for updates when we see new similar adverts for sale:
- It's super easy to cancel it with just one click.
- Your email will only be used for these alerts.
- You can have one active alert at any one time.
- The alert will time out after 30 days.
Popularity & How Many Left
|Year||On The Road||Off The Road||Total||For Sale|
|2018||116||-||116||53 / month|
|2019||Data coming soon...||270 / month|