Suzuki GSX-R1000 For Sale
Insurance Costs: 10 of 10
Current Prices: £11,600–£7,900
What Is It?
The Suzuki GSX-R1000 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a Euro 4 compliant liquid cooled 999.8 cc inline four engine, producing 199.2 bhp at 13,200 rpm and maximum torque at 10,800 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with Brembo four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- Cornering ABS
- Adjustable Showa 40 mm Big Piston Fork
- Adjustable Showa rear shock
- Assist and slipper clutch
- 10-level traction control, 3 ride modes
- Anti-stoppie, electronic steering damper
- Easy start system, low RPM assist
- 4->2->1 exhaust system with Titanium muffler
- LED lighting all round, adjustable levers
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the 2012-2016 model it's more compact, more aerodynamic, more powerful, cleaner running and boasts over 600 new parts. It's a proper re-design for 2017 and the exhaust includes the cat.
The new engine increases power at the top end without sacrificing anything lower down, has a red line 1,000 rpm higher and makes 16 bhp more almost 2,000 rpm higher up the range. New parts include electronic throttle bodies, ride by wire, MotoGP derived 6g lighter DLC coated finger follower tappets rather than bucket tappets and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) to increase high end power without sacrificing the low end.
Suzuki's implementation of VVT is simple but effective, using 12 Steel balls in slanted grooves within the intake cam sprocket and centrifugal force to shift them at high rpms. It's quite different to the more complex VTEC system found in the Honda VFR series.
They have also removed the balancer shaft, but added new Titanium exhaust valves, high-rpm operated top feed injectors and dual stage intakes; as you near the top end the engine re-configures for maximum power. To keep everything cool there's an extra fan behind the curved radiator.
To help make the bike more compact the new engine is almost 7 mm narrower and 22 mm shorter. Being shorter it can sit nearer the front wheel, helping front end feel and the 16 mm narrower fairing helps the aerodynamics. The fuel tank is even 21 mm lower at the top so you can tuck in more.
Suzuki has upgraded the dash to be mostly LCD, with 6 brightness levels. The new 6-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 Bridgestone Battlax Street RS10 tyre at the front and 190/55 at the rear.
- 2017: Blue/yellow/black, red, black/red (red wheels)
- 2018: Black/blue, black/red, white/blue, MotoGP Race Rep Blue
- 2019: White/black added
- 2020: Blue, white/black, black/red
The £2,850 more expensive GSX-R1000R is a 1 kg heavier limited production run which adds a bi-directional quickshifter, launch control system, Showa racing Balance Free Front (BFF) fork, Showa Balance Free Rear Cushion (BFRC) shock, lightweight upper triple clamp, lighter battery and inverted LCD dash.
2019: Quickshifter from the R now standard, exhaust features a better looking black heat shield and tyres upgraded to Bridgestone RS11s.
Capacity: 1,000 cc (high)
Power: 199 bhp / 148 kW (very high)
Red Line: 14,500 rpm (very high)
Top Speed: 185 mph / 298 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 140 miles / 225 km (average)
Fuel Capacity: 16.0 litres / 3.5 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 825 mm / 32.5 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 202 kg / 445 pounds (heavy)
Launch RRP: £13,250
Check out this video review from TheMissendenFlyer.
Something wrong? Let us know.
Create An Alert
Pop in your email address for updates when we see new similar adverts for sale:
- It's super easy to cancel it with just one click.
- Your email will only be used for these alerts.
- You can have one active alert at any one time.
- The alert will time out after 30 days.
Sell Your Bike
Pop in your reg number, get a same day valuation from WeWantYourMotorbike and they'll buy your bike within 24 hours:
Popularity & How Many Left
|Year||On The Road||Off The Road||Total||For Sale|
|2017||225||118||343||250 / month|
|2018||147||-||147||170 / month|
|2019||Data coming soon...||73 / month|