Suzuki GSX-R1000 Bikes For Sale
- Seat Height: Average (825 mm / 32.5 inches)
- Weight: Heavy (202 kg / 445 lbs)
- Fuel Capacity: High (16.0 litres / 4.2 US gallons)
- Economy: Average (40 mpg / 7.1 l/100km / 14.2 km/l)
- Range: Average (140 miles / 225 km)
- Top Speed: Very High (185 mph / 298 km/h)
- Capacity: High (1,000 cc)
- Power: Very High (199 bhp / 148 kW)
- Power to Weight: Very High (0.985 bhp/kg / 0.735 kW/kg)
- Redline: Very High (14,500 rpm)
- Road Tax / VED: Very High (£101 Per Year)
- Launch RRP: £13,250
For Sale (14)
Sell Your Bike
Price Guide & Used Prices
Gear & Accessories
Check out this video review from TheMissendenFlyer.
What Is It?
The Suzuki GSX-R1000 is a dedicated sports bike and is powered by a Euro 4 compliant liquid cooled 999.8 cc inline four engine, producing 199.2 bhp at 13,200 rpm and maximum torque at 10,800 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with Brembo four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- Cornering ABS
- Adjustable Showa 40 mm Big Piston Fork
- Adjustable Showa rear shock
- Assist and slipper clutch
- 10-level traction control
- 3 ride modes
- Electronic steering damper
- Easy start system
- Low RPM assist
- 4->2->1 exhaust system with Titanium muffler
- LED lighting all round
- Adjustable levers
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the 2012-2016 model it's more compact, more aerodynamic, more powerful, cleaner running and boasts over 600 new parts. It's a proper re-design for 2017 and the exhaust includes the cat.
The new engine increases power at the top end without sacrificing anything lower down, has a red line 1,000 rpm higher and makes 16 bhp more almost 2,000 rpm higher up the range. New parts include electronic throttle bodies, ride by wire, MotoGP derived 6 gram lighter DLC coated finger follower tappets rather than bucket tappets and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) to increase high end power without sacrificing the low end.
Suzuki's implementation of VVT is simple but effective, using 12 Steel balls in slanted grooves within the intake cam sprocket and centrifugal force to shift them at high rpms. It's quite different to the more complex VTEC system found in the Honda VFR series.
They have also removed the balancer shaft, but added new Titanium exhaust valves, high-rpm operated top feed injectors and dual stage intakes; as you near the top end the engine re-configures for maximum power. To keep everything cool there's an extra fan behind the curved radiator.
To help make the bike more compact the new engine is almost 7 mm narrower and 22 mm shorter. Being shorter it can sit nearer the front wheel, helping front end feel and the 16 mm narrower fairing helps the aerodynamics. The fuel tank is even 21 mm lower at the top so you can tuck in more.
Suzuki has also upgraded the dash to be mostly LCD, with 6 brightness levels.
The new 6-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 Bridgestone Battlax Street RS10 tyre at the front and a 190/55 at the rear.
- 2017: Blue/yellow/black, red, black/red (red wheels)
- 2018: Black/blue, black/red, white/blue, MotoGP Race Rep Blue
- 2019: White/black added
- 2020: Blue, white/black, black/red
Model History & Updates
2019: Quickshifter from the R now standard, exhaust features a better looking black heat shield and tyres upgraded to Bridgestone RS11s.
Up And Down The Range
The £2,850 more expensive GSX-R1000R is a 1 kg heavier limited production run which adds a bi-directional quickshifter, launch control system, Showa racing Balance Free Front (BFF) fork, Showa Balance Free Rear Cushion (BFRC) shock, lightweight upper triple clamp, lighter battery and inverted LCD dash.