Yamaha MT-09 SP Review
✓Engine, torque, suspension, handling, looks great with the SP paint job
×Limited range, slightly snatchy throttle, where is the dash from the MT-10 SP?
What Is It?
The 2018 Yamaha MT-09 SP upgrades the best selling MT-09 naked bike with Ohlins rear suspension, an improved KYB fork and a special inverted dash.
Engine: 847 cc Triple, 114 bhp
Economy: 45 mpg
Range: 140 miles
Seat Height: 820 mm
What Is It Like?
Choosing The SP
After much Googling and YouTube reviewing I decided to visit our Yamaha dealership and test ride the MT-09. First impressions count and I have to say that straight away I was hooked.
Again after the test drive I saw on YouTube some honest reviews which I could then relate to with the suspension and as a consequence the dealership did advise that they had an MT-09 SP in stock that would address these issues. Deposit payed and now I'm a very proud owner of the MT-09 SP.
The triple in this bike is the most practical configuration I have ever ridden for the UK roads. The engine provides more than enough linear power from any gear, making it so much fun for the A roads and lanes in my area.
I will also state that this bike is not great for distance on motorways and if that is a factor then get the Tracer.
The bike from stock is configured with the suspension a little on the hard / sporty side. I saw an article for a slightly softer suspension configuration which I've now applied and it can now ride the British rutted roads with ease and confidence.
It's well worth getting the SP for this versatile adjustable suspension, it's a lot more stable than the standard, plus it looks fantastic. Some comment that the SP must stand for 'Special Paint'!
To Sum Up
Although limited to 140mph, what makes this bike great is the low end torque which the sports bikes lack, so there's no need to wait until 10,000+ RPM before you hit the sweet spot. This bike is sweet from 3,000 RPM upwards.
It puts a huge smile on my face everyday and I commute 20 miles each way all year long on it.
- George, 2018
Get The Gear To Go With It
Yamaha MT-09 - The updated 2017 version on which the SP is based, but without the Ohlins rear and KYB front suspension upgrades.
The Second Opinion
- Upright riding position and comfortable for legs
- Clutch / throttle very light with excellent quick shifter
- Engine - reviews were all positive
- Ease of riding as it's a short compact machine
- Looks incredible
- Lighter and better than the MT-10 which felt bulky
- Great value for money
- Flicky and easy to manoeuvre through town
- Apparently it does good wheelies!
- Feels incredibly snatchy when you first get on
- MT by name and empty by nature, small fuel tank and fuel consumption isn't brilliant
- Horn and indicator way too close so you end up angrily indicating at the idiots
- Bobbins and centre stand not standard for ease of servicing
As I'm a girl I'd like to say what a lovely colour the bike is!
- Yamaha comfort seat, which is great
- Hand guards as I liked the look of them
- Screen just to keep a bit of wind off and to possibly stop the odd flying thing
- 12V charger for various devices such as satnav
- Radiator cover
- Diane L, 2018
Check out this video review from TheMissendenFlyer.