Honda Africa Twin For Sale
What Is It?
The Honda Africa Twin is a premium adventure bike with an optional automatic gearbox and is powered by a Euro 4 compliant liquid cooled 998 cc parallel twin engine, producing 93.9 bhp at 7,500 rpm and maximum torque at 6,000 rpm.
- Steel frame and Aluminium swingarm
- Dual 310 mm wavy discs up front with Nissin four piston calipers
- 256 mm wavy disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- ABS with off switch for the rear
- Traction control with 3 levels and off switch
- Adjustable 45 mm upside down Showa fork with 230 mm travel
- Adjustable Showa rear shock with 220 mm travel
- Rally style negative LCD dash
- LED lights all round, hand guards
- 850 mm / 870 mm adjustable seat
- 6 speed manual with gear position indicator
The Africa Twin name was brought over to this model from the original XRV750L Africa Twin to denote the equally good road and off-road handling but the new bike has little else in common. The wheels are wire spoked with the 21" front taking a 90/90 tyre and the rear 18" a 150/70.
DCT (£800, +10 kg)
The Dual Clutch Transmission model gets two heavy weight clutches capable of operating in manual mode or full automatic. Manual mode shifts up and down using levers on the left bar and there are two auto modes; D is a standard economical mode and S is more sporty, with 3 shift patterns to choose from in each mode, one of which can be set to be the default. It can also sense how much of an incline you're on and adapt the gear shift pattern to suit.
If you check the pics above there is also a G button next to the ABS off switch, which switches the clutch to a more direct drive for off-road.
This model also gets a parking brake system with an additional piston in the rear caliper and four levels for different gradients and loads. The brake lever sits where the clutch lever would have been.
Accessories include a centre stand, 30 mm wider / 90 mm taller touring screen, smoked standard screen, panniers, top box, heated grips, DCT foot shifter, comfort pillion pegs, Akrapovic slip on muffler, Termignoni muffler, engine bars, LED fog lights and low seat.
- 2016: White/red/blue, red/white/black, silver/grey/black, black/grey,
- 2017-2018: White/red/blue, red/white/black, silver/grey/black, black/grey, red (2017)
- 2019: Black, blue/white/red, red/white
It was one of the best selling bikes in 2016 and is also known as the CRF1000L.
Launch RRP: £10,500
Capacity: 998 cc (high)
Power: 94 bhp / 70 kW (average)
Red Line: 7,800 rpm (average)
Top Speed: 130 mph / 209 km/h (high)
Economy: 45 mpg / 6.3 L/100km (average)
Range: 190 miles / 306 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 18.8 litres / 4.1 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 850 mm / 33.5 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 232 kg / 512 pounds (heavy)
Dry Weight: 212 kg / 467 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.405 bhp/kg / 0.302 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (Very High)
Review In A Few
- All day comfort
- Off road ability
- Build quality
- No centre stand or 12V socket as standard
- Limited rear tyre choices
- Clunky manual box
- Poor screen
2017: Euro 4 compliance and red paint scheme.
2018: New dash, improved mid-range from a new air box, 2.3 kg lighter Lithium battery, improved pegs, 4 riding modes (Tour/Urban/Gravel/Custom), traction control now 7 levels, better sound from a new exhaust, auto-cancel indicators and knobbly tyres are now an option. Wet weight now 230 kg for the manual and 240 kg for the DCT version.
Africa Twin Adventure Sports launched with larger 24 litre tank, heated grips, tall screen, protection bars and larger belly pan.
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike:
Parts & Accessories
Popularity & How Many Left