- Easy to use power and control
- Comfy riding position
- Great all rounder
- Alarm eats into the storage space
- Wobbly mirrors (fixed in 2017)
- Wind protection
The S1000R is a naked version of the popular S1000RR, sharing the engine, gearbox, frame and suspension but with a higher handlebar for comfort. The 999cc inline four cylinder engine is tuned for low and mid-range torque, peaking at 9,250rpm, while maximum power of 160bhp is achieved at 11,000rpm (it's 199bhp at 13,500rpm on the S1000RR). RRP is £10,700.
- Aluminium frame and double sided swingarm
- Dual 320mm discs up front with Brembo radial mount 2 piston calipers
- Rear 220mm disc with Brembo single piston caliper
- Adjustable 46mm upside down fork with 120mm travel
- Adjustable rear shock with 120mm travel
- Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and ABS
- Two ride modes for ASC/ABS: Road and Rain (136bhp)
- Slipper clutch and ride by wire throttle
- Stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust system
- 17" cast Aluminium wheels
- Side stand with auto cut out
- 6 speed gearbox and LED rear light
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is an option (£275) and adds two Pro Riding Modes; Dynamic and Dynamic Pro to bring the number of modes up to 4. Quick shifter (£400), cruise control (£400), heated grips (£250) and an alarm (£200) are also options.
The front fork is gold, rather than black, if the optional Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) is fitted (£600). DDC lets you change the suspension settings with a button rather than with screwdrivers so it's worth having if you know the road is about to get dodgy.
The S1000R retails at £10,350 while the pimped S1000R Sport comes in at £11,750. The extra cash basically gets you all the options above added to the standard model at a bit of a discount so it's worth looking out for and if you want to take things further there are plenty of carbon bits and 2kg lighter forged Aluminium wheels. You can tell the Sport apart because it has an additional engine spoiler near the bottom of the radiator.
2017: Thorough update with Euro 4 compliance, power up 5bhp to 165bhp, weight down by 2kg, HP Titanium silencer standard, Race ABS standard, vibration free handlebars, lighter rear frame and noticeably smaller fairing. You also get some new options such as cornering ABS Pro being part of optional Riding Modes Pro option, the up/down HP quick shifter and HP forged wheels (2.4kg lighter).
- 2013-2016: red/black, white/black, blue/grey/black
- 2017: Grey, white/red/blue, red/black
- 2018: Black, white/red/blue (small tweaks)
If we've missed something vital or got something laughably wrong about this model please let us know and we will love you forever.
Value Your Bike
Get a full valuation from We Want Your Motorbike today. Just pop in your reg number and a few bike details, get the valuation and they'll pay for your bike within 24 hours - easy peasy.
Bikes for Sale (14)
£7,391 eBay, 25th September
GOOD BAD CREDIT ACCEPTED, OVER 500+ BIKES IN STOCK
£9,299 eBay, 25th September
Colchester Kawasaki - Call 01206 860006
£8,495 eBay, 25th September
LOW RATE FINANCE AND 2 YEAR WARRANTY AVAILABLE
Insurance groups vary widely by insurer with anywhere from 17 to 65 groups but our simple scale gives you a rough idea of how wallet busting it's likely to be:
Insurance Group: 10 of 10
With over 85 years’ experience, you can trust Bennetts to find you the cover that meets your needs for the best price from their panel of insurers. So get a quote on their 5-Star Defaqto rated cover today.
Check out this handy review from TheMissendenFlyer: