BMW S1000XR Bikes For Sale
What Is It?
The BMW S1000XR is a premium adventure style bike with some very sporty credentials and is powered by a Euro 5 compliant liquid cooled 999 cc inline four cylinder engine, putting out 162.3 bhp at 11,000 rpm and maximum torque at 9,250 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 265 mm disc at the rear with two piston caliper
- Multi level cornering ABS
- Adjustable 45 mm upside down fork with 150 mm travel
- Rear shock with rebound adjustment and 150 mm travel
- 3-level traction control (ASC)
- Ride modes: Rain, Road, Dynamic, Dynamic Pro
- Steering damper
- Braided brake lines
- Self cancelling indicators
- 4->1 exhaust system
- Lever operated 2-level screen
- 12V socket
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the 2015-2019 model there's a new wasp like nose with a new LED headlight, a new combined LED braking / indicator setup at the rear, electronic suspension and ride modes are now standard, hill start control has been added, the dash is a new 6.5" TFT with connectivity, cornering ABS is now standard, the front calipers are now BMW's own design, the bars are slightly narrower and the engine braking level can now be set but power is down a few bhp.
To save weight the frame and swingarm are a 2.1 kg lighter design, the suspension is slimmer and lighter, there's a lighter Euro 5 compliant exhaust, the wheels are 1.8 kg lighter and the pannier rails are now integrated to save weight which all adds up to a 10 kg saving fully loaded (2 kg versus the old model without pannier rails).
BMW have also tweaked the gear ratios to reduce engine speed around 60-70 mph, which reduces noise and fuel consumption. The new engine is lighter and more compact, offering an improved leg position, however surprisingly it doesn't feature the VVT system from the latest S1000RR sports bike because it's designed to spend most of its time at medium revs.
There's even a handy new cubbyhole on the top of the fuel tank. The 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre up front and a 190/55 at the rear.
- Touring Pack (£410): Sat nav prep, luggage rack, centre stand, handguards.
- Dynamic Pack (£1,250): Dynamic ESA Pro, quickshifter, keyless start, heated grips, cruise control.
- Carbon Pack (£1,675): Mudguards, chain guard, side panels.
The £1,935 more expensive S1000XR TE gets the cornering headlight with DRL, dynamic ESA pro, quickshifter, heated grips, keyless start, cruise control, centre stand and handguards.
Options include Dynamic ESA Pro with additional suspension modes (Road, Dynamic) and auto load compensation, cornering lights, LED fog lights, quickshifter, cruise control, +50 mm tall screen, tinted screen, new floating panniers, topbox, luggage rack, centre stand, handguards, heated grips, forged wheels, SOS system, lighter battery, 820 mm low / 860 mm high / 850 mm comfort seats, lowered suspension and loads of billet parts.
- 2020: Silver, red
- 2021: Silver, red/silver, white/red/blue
- 2022: Black, red/black, white/red/blue
Launch RRP: £14,290
Capacity: 999 cc (high)
Power: 162 bhp / 121 kW (very high)
Red Line: 12,000 rpm (high)
Top Speed: 160 mph / 257 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 180 miles / 290 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 20.0 litres / 5.3 US gallons (high)
Seat Height: 840 mm / 33.1 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 226 kg / 498 pounds (heavy)
Dry Weight: 205 kg / 452 pounds
Power to Weight: 0.717 bhp/kg / 0.535 kW/kg
Road Tax (VED): £96 / Year (Very High)
2021: USB port now an option.
Review In A Few
- Loads of smooth power
- Perfect all rounder
- Wind protection
- Two up comfort
- TFT dash
- Pretty expensive with all the options
- Can be costly on tyres
- Mirror vibes
- Hard seat
For Sale (16)
Sell Your Bike
Simply pop in the reg number to get a same day valuation from We Want Your Motorbike: