BMW S1000XR First Look
Insurance Costs: 10 of 10
Launch RRP: £13,990
What Is It?
The BMW S1000XR is a premium adventure style bike with some very sporty credentials and is powered by a liquid cooled 999 cc inline four cylinder engine, putting out 162.3 bhp at 11,000 rpm and maximum torque at 9,250 rpm.
- Aluminium frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with four piston calipers
- 265 mm disc at the rear with two piston caliper
- Multi level cornering ABS
- Adjustable 45 mm upside down fork with 150 mm travel
- Rear shock with rebound adjustment and 150 mm travel
- 3-level traction control (ASC), anti-wheelie
- Ride modes: Rain, Road, Dynamic, Dynamic Pro
- Steering damper, braided brake lines
- Self cancelling indicators
- 4->1 exhaust system
- 2-level screen, 12V socket
- 6 speed gearbox with gear position indicator
Compared to the 2015-2019 model there's a new wasp like nose with a new LED headlight, electronic suspension and rides modes are now standard, hill start control has been added, the dash is a new 6.5" TFT with connectivity, cornering ABS is now standard, the front calipers are now BMW's own design and the engine braking level can now be set but power is down a few bhp.
To save weight the frame and swingarm are a 2.1 kg lighter design, the suspension is slimmer and lighter, there's a lighter Euro 5 compliant exhaust, the wheels are 1.8 kg lighter and the pannier rails are now integrated to save weight which all adds up to a 10 kg saving fully loaded (2 kg without luggage).
BMW have also tweaked the gear ratios to reduce engine speed around 60-70 mph, which reduces noise and fuel consumption. The new engine is lighter and more compact, offering an improved leg position, however surprisingly it doesn't feature the VVT system from the latest S1000RR sports bike.
There's even a handy new glovebox on the top of the fuel tank. The 5-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre up front and a 190/55 at the rear.
- Touring Pack (£410): Sat nav prep, luggage rack, centre stand, handguards.
- Dynamic Pack (£1,250): Dynamic ESA Pro, quickshifter, keyless start, heated grips, cruise control.
- Carbon Pack (£1,675): Mudguards, chain guard, side panels.
Options include Dynamic ESA Pro with additional suspension modes (Road, Dynamic) and auto load compensation, cornering lights, LED fog lights, quickshifter, cruise control, LED DRL, +50 mm tall screen, tinted screen, new floating panniers, topbox, luggage rack, centre stand, handguards, heated grips, forged wheels, SOS system, lighter battery, 820 mm low / 860 mm high / 850 comfort seats, lowered suspension and loads of billet parts.
- 2020: Silver, red
Capacity: 999 cc (high)
Power: 162 bhp / 121 kW (very high)
Red Line: 12,000 rpm (high)
Top Speed: 160 mph / 257 km/h (very high)
Economy: 40 mpg / 7.1 L/100km (average)
Range: 180 miles / 290 km (high)
Fuel Capacity: 20.0 litres / 4.4 gallons (high)
Seat Height: 840 mm / 33.1 inches (average)
Wet Weight: 226 kg / 498 pounds (heavy)
Dry Weight: 205 kg / 452 pounds
Check out this video from BMW.
Something wrong? Let us know.
Create An Alert
Pop in your email address for updates when we see new similar adverts for sale:
- It's super easy to cancel it with just one click.
- Your email will only be used for these alerts.
- You can have one active alert at any one time.
- The alert will time out after 30 days.
Bikes for Sale (0)
We haven't seen any for sale today. Set up an alert and we will let you know when we see one.