Honda VTR1000 (SP1 SP2 RC51) Bikes For Sale
- Seat Height: Average (813 mm / 32.0 inches)
- Weight: Heavy (223 kg / 492 lbs)
- Fuel Capacity: High (18.0 litres / 4.8 US gallons)
- Economy: Poor (30 mpg / 9.4 l/100km / 10.6 km/l)
- Range: Average (120 miles / 193 km)
- Top Speed: Very High (155 mph / 249 km/h)
- Capacity: High (999 cc)
- Power: High (134 bhp / 100 kW)
- Power to Weight: High (0.601 bhp/kg / 0.448 kW/kg)
- Redline: Average (10,000 rpm)
- Road Tax / VED: Very High (£101 Per Year)
For Sale (9)
Sell Your Bike
Price Guide & Used Prices
↑Year shows signs of appreciation
Gear & Accessories
Review In A Few
Check out this video review from TheMissendenFlyer.
What Is It?
The Honda VTR1000 SP1 and SP2 are dedicated sports bikes which replaced the RVF750R RC45. They are powered by a Euro 1 compliant liquid cooled 999 cc 90° V-Twin four stroke engine, producing 134.1 bhp at 9,500 rpm and maximum torque at 8,000 rpm.
- Aluminium twin spar frame and swingarm
- Dual 320 mm discs up front with Nissin four piston calipers
- 220 mm disc at the rear with Nissin single piston caliper
- Adjustable Showa 43 mm upside down fork with 130 mm travel
- Adjustable Showa 40 mm rear shock with 120 mm travel
- 2->2 Stainless Steel exhaust system
- 6 speed gearbox, fuel injection
Honda's superbike departed from the RC45's V4 engine in order to better compete with Ducati and had a more aggressive riding position, with a number of Magnesium bits to reduce weight.
Unusually the air intake port is right in the nose, passing straight through the steering head to a large port with a low / high-speed valve. Like the VTR1000F Firestorm there are two side mounted radiators visible through the iconic triangular cutouts in the fairing, although in this case they are 20% larger.
The engine is also significantly tweaked from the Firestorm, with larger pistons, smaller stroke and higher compression; basically more power at higher revs. It was Honda's last gear driven cam race bike and was eventually replaced by the CBR1000RR. The 6-spoke 17" wheels take a 120/70 tyre at the front and 190/50 at the rear.
- 2000: "Winning Red"
- 2001: Red, silver
- 2002-2003: White/black
- 2004-2005: Black/silver
- 2006-2008: Black/grey
It's called the RVT1000R in the USA.
Model History & Updates
2001: Fork now gold.
2002: SP2 introduces a new press-forged longer swingarm, more rigid frame / engine interface, improved fuel injection with 12 jet injectors for more power, 30 mm taller screen for better protection, better looking indicators, new exhaust system, new 5-spoke wheel design and radiator fans both sides. Dry weight down from 199 kg to 194 kg.
2004: New fuel injection and exhaust for Euro 2 compliance. Adjustable clutch lever.
2005: Frame and front fender now black.